An Autumn Warmer For You
As the colder weather creeps in and replaces the summer, it may be time to put away the BBQ and get your AGA cooking. Autumn is a fantastic time to take full advantage of the gorgeous flavours and local produce on offer, encouraging you to get creative in the kitchen and make delicious foods that’ll warm you up!
When you think of winter recipes, you’ll think of soups, stews and pies – anything that offers a hearty meal with hearty flavours! But if you’re still struggling for inspiration or you fancy cooking up some winter warmers that’ll keep you cosy all winter long – here’s a lovely recipe that’s perfect for lunchtime, dinner or tea.
Sausage & Mash Pie
Serves: 4 – 6
A cheeky take on the bangers and mash and cottage pie classics, this pie is a tasty treat that will be a firm family favourite, not just in winter!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 400g smoked bacon, chopped
- 8 large sausages (flavour optional)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- 900g mashed potato
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4tbsp Lancashire cheese, grated
You will need:
- Large frying pan
- Ovenproof dish, 1.5 litres or more
- Heat a large pan until extremely hot, and fry chopped bacon pieces for 5 minutes until crisp. Reserve 2tbsp of fat in pan and drain excess, setting bacon pieces aside.
- Fry sausage chunks in small batches until browned but still raw in the middle, and set aside. Remove excess fat, leaving 2tbsp in the pan once again.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the onions, carrots and leeks and fry gently for 12 minutes without colouring. When vegetables are soft, add tomatoes, chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, bringing to a gentle simmer.
- Once simmering, add the sausage and bacon pieces to the mix and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer mix to the ovenproof dish and cover over the mash, sprinkling grated cheese on top.
- Heat the oven to 190 C, 170 fan, gas 5 or 375 F and bake for 30 minutes until mash is golden and filling is bubbling throughout.
- Allow to stand for 3 – 5 minutes before serving.
…And for dessert? Well, be sure to check our blog regularly for more delicious recipes that’ll keep you cooking and cosy all year round! Here at Range Experts, we provide boiler repairs in Exeter and are dedicated to providing quality customer service and care. For more information please do not hesitate to contact our friendly team on 01392 427641 today!